CONEBI is the result of the merger that took place on 19 November 2014 between COLIPED (the Association of the European Two-Wheeler Parts’ and Accessories’ Industry) – established in 1960 – and COLIBI (the Association of the European Bicycle and e-Bike Industry) – established in 1973.
CONEBI will combine the efforts that have been efficiently put by COLIPED and COLIBI all over the past decades in order to have maximum strength in representing its members’ interests at European level: the new association will keep on maintaining regular contacts with European policy makers and Authorities, as well as with other associations that pursue common objectives, the European standardization body CEN, Industry and mobility experts, and the international press. CONEBI’s aim will be the growth of the bicycle, EPAC and P&A industries and of the Cycling Culture in Europe.
CONEBI is an association composed by Members from the bicycle associations in all European countries. Every country is represented by that national organisation. CONEBI has a board consisting of three representatives from the Industry and a treasurer from the Members. The following Board of Directors was unanimously elected on 19 November 2014: Mr. René Takens of the Accell Group NV, President – Mr. Erhard Buechel, of Büchel & Co. Fahrzeugteilefabrik KG, Vice President – Mr. Massimo Panzeri of Atala Spa, Vice President – Ms. Sacha Boedijn of RAI Association, Treasurer.
At least two times per year CONEBI has a general assembly.
EXTRACT FROM THE OFFICIAL JOURNAL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION 5TH JUNE 2013.
SECTION H: EUROPEAN UNION INTERESTS:
(249) The Union Bicycle Industry contributes significantly to technological innovation and spin offs, such as the recently developed EPACs (Electronically Power Assisted Cycles) and electronic bicycles that would not be economically viable without having a bicycle industry in the Union. Moreover, the Union Bicycle Industry contributes to the environmental goals such as greening of transport and decarbonisation.
(250) The Union Bicycle Industry is also a driving force for related industries, such as production of bicycle parts, bicycle accessories and related services. In total the Union industry generates directly and indirectly between 60 000 and 70 000 jobs in the Union market.
(251) The Union Bicycle Industry had undertaken efforts to restructure and invested in innovation which would be lost should the Union industry disappear. To the contrary, with the measures in place, the Union industry would be able to maintain and even increase sales volume and thereby generating the necessary return on investments which would enable it to continue to reinvest in new technology and innovation.
- Organization of CONEBI General Assemblies and Working Groups
- Advocacy campaigns in the Members’ interest towards European and national authorities
- Monitoring of European and national developments and legislation
- Contacts with the European Institutions
- Study of technical / economic dossiers
- Consultation and exchange of information with other European associations
- Involvement in the European Committee for Standardization through CEN TC 333 ‘Cycles’ and its Working Groups
- Monitoring + study of possible co-operations in European programmes
- Organisation of a European participation in non-European bicycle shows
CONEBI vzw/asbl (non-profit association) consists of a Board of Directors and the General Assembly.
For specific dossiers, CONEBI created a number of working-groups. The experts, Members of the WGs, communicate their findings at the General Assembly. The association can be composed of effective and associate members (for details: click ‘members’). The working costs incurred by the association are covered by membership fees and by revenues from the organisation of promotional activities.
Board of Directors:
President Mr René J. Takens, of the ACCELL Group
Vice-President Mr Erhard Büchel, of Büchel & Co. Fahrzeugteilefabrik KG
Vice-President Mr Massimo Panzeri, of Atala Spa
Treasurer Ms Sacha Boedijn, of RAI Association
Secretary General Ms Greet Engelen
General Manager Mr Manuel Marsilio
Administrative and Policy Assistant Ms Laura De Vocht
Advisor Mr Moreno Fioravanti
Technical Advisor Mr Siegfried Neuberger
Technical Advisor Mr Eugène Moerkerk
Technical Advisor Mr Erik van der Hout
International shows Mr Peter Hildering